I wasn't sure where to start, because I didn't get a Rottweiler for the sport of schutzhund. I've always loved the breed, but I found out when searching for a breeder what I knew of the Rottweiler was far from the correct temperament. The search began for the perfect puppy. Looking back, I probably wouldn't have done it any differently. I did my research. I asked the right questions, to which he provided all the right answers to. I knew Rottweilers were working dogs, so I wanted one from working lines, even though I had no intentions in doing schutzhund. This would be "my" first dog.
Along came Vegas, the biggest puppy of the litter. "I don't want a big dog!" I exclaimed to the breeder, but I left it to him to pick the right dog for me. Ironically, I think Vegas grew up to be the smallest of his littermates, just with the biggest ego. As a puppy, he was much more than I had bargained for. I also thought his puppy antics were normal. What did I know, it was my first puppy! Nothing like my friend's Rottweiler, but it came from a backyard breeder, and my puppy is from "working lines". Even to this day, he is the worst ankle biter I've ever encountered. That year, my clothes all had holes in the lower pant leg and sleeve cuffs. No one told me I'd need a completely new wardrobe if I was to raise a Rottweiler!
Puppy classes started as soon as he was 12 weeks old. Smartest in his class, picked things up before all the other puppies, yet the teacher did not like him. It was like racial profiling, so I decided not to return. Next trainer was great, except it got to be impossible to get into her classes, and the cost had increased dramatically. We bounced from school to school, and even tried a few different agility classes. With each new school, desperate to find the right activity for my dog to channel his energy / drives I was subsequently left disappointed. No one understood his drives. I would have them meet him before hand, and explain what my issues were. Of course they all claimed they could help, because they wanted my money. Vegas was getting older, becoming an adolescent, and these so-called trainers didn't understand a fundamental drive in most dogs, the prey drive. I was either asked not to return for next level classes, or kicked out because they did not know how to handle his intense desire to "chase". He was never aggressive towards other dogs, he just wanted to chase them. It didn't take long to figure out that agility and these so called "obedience" classes weren't the best activities for Vegas.
Left to my own devices, I turned to the internet for help. I did find "some" good advice on some behaviours, but it was still limited. I figured I needed to understand his drives better if I wanted to succeed with him. That's when I found a great schutzhund club that encompasses motivational training with your dog in drive. Perfect! Its been 5 years, and I've never looked back. Where every other trainer was left dumbfounded, schutzhund was just the right thing. The perfect activity for Vegas.


Yay! You have a blog!
ReplyDeleteYeah, so much has happened since I got Vegas, like SAS and SLO I wanted to post those experiences somewhere, and share what I've learned.
ReplyDelete